Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Context of the Korea Special Forces Story



Context of the Korea Special Forces Story

28.05.12

http://www.warisboring.com/2012/05/28/context-of-the-korea-special-forces-story/



Categorie: David Axe, North Korea, Special Forces |

Tags: North Korea, Special Forces



by DAVID AXE



Some folks have accused me of "fabricating" quotations I attributed to Army

Brig. Gen. Neil Tolley regarding U.S. surveillance operations in North

Korea. See the original story here . and skepticism here and here.



The context was a panel featuring theater Special Operations Forces

commanders at the SOFIC conference in Florida the week of May 21. Tolley

spoke on the record to an audience of hundreds of industry, government and

media representatives.



If he was speaking hypothetically, he did not say so. He spoke in the

present tense . and at length. (Probably five minutes or so.)



Update #1: Oops. Actually, don't take Paul McLeary at Defense News as

corroboration. He has a different spin on the story. And besides, I forgot

that he and I used some of the same notes - my notes. But my notes have

Tolley saying what I attribute to him in the story.



Look people, Korea's not my usual beat. Far from it. I don't always know

what's news and what isn't in Korea. But I was in the room at the

conference. I took notes. There were many hundreds of witnesses - and

cameras, too.



Update #2: People are telling me that surely Tolley was speaking

hypothetically. If so, he did not specify. Or if he did, I did not hear him.

I heard him describing the technical challenges of conducting human

surveillance in North Korea. He described the problem, and his solution to

the problem, and the challenges incumbent in the solution. Sounded pretty

concrete to me.



Update #3: Comment from U.S. Forces Korea:



    Brig. Gen. Tolley recently participated in a theater special operations

command commander panel discussion at a Special Operations Forces industry

conference.  Some reporting has taken great liberal license with his

comments and taken him completely out of context. Quotes have been made up

and attributed to him.  No U.S. or ROK forces have parachuted into North

Korea. Though special reconnaissance is a core special operations force

mission, at no time have SOF forces been  sent to the north to conduct

special reconnaissance. The use of tunnels in North Korea is well

documented. Several of the known tunnels along the DMZ are visited by

tourists every day.



Update #4: Frankly, I'm relieved to hear the military say we're NOT sending

troops into North Korea. Some observers wonder how I could ever believe that

we HAD - after all, that would be an act of war. Yes, but we routinely

strike military and terror targets in foreign countries in ways that could

be construed as acts of war. Pakistan, anyone? Korea watchers are SHOCKED at

Tolley's comments, whatever the general's true meaning was. I guess I wasn't

as shocked because I'm accustomed to creeping American warfare.



By the way, I'm beginning to realize what a big deal this all is. Wish I'd

realized that earlier. But all that doesn't change what Tolley said,

according to my notes.



Update #5: I got to say, I'm hating this. I honestly had no idea this tiny

little story would be such a big deal. Yes, the news was "surprising" to me.

But a lot of news is a surprise to me . that's why it's news.



Update #6: I really hope someone has a transcript of this panel. Are my

handwritten notes inaccurate? Was the general vague in his comments? A

third-party written record will help clear this up. Anyone?



Update #7: So I'm attaching photos of my notes. Hard to read, I know. And

yes, I could FAKE notes. So I realize these won't necessarily convince

anyone who thinks I'm a North Korean agent trying to incite a war. For what

it's worth .



Update #8: Any other reporters who want clarity on this chain of reporting,

contact me at david_axe-at-hotmail.com. I'm in U.S. eastern time.



Update #9: Can I reiterate please how much I'm hating this? I've been shot

at and blown up and even kidnapped without feeling as crappy as I do about

this. I'm in this weird vortex where so many people are telling me I could

not possibly have heard what I said I heard that part of me is beginning to

believe them. I keep re-reading my notes, as though looking for something

new. I'm a reliable note-taker and a fairly seasoned reporter (I think) but

I can only write down what I hear and what I understand. Did I really screw

something up here? Am I being snowed by a general who said something he

shouldn't have and now fears for his career? Is it all a misunderstanding? I

have no idea any more. I just have these two sheets of paper in my hand .

and a lot of people telling me I'm about to start a war.



==========================================

(F)AIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this

message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to

these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed

within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with

"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.

The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The

Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain

permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials

if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,

teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria

for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies

as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four

criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is

determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not

substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use

copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you

must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml



THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS

PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment