Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Congratulations to Archie Comics on Marriage Equality and Kevin Keller

Congratulations to Archie Comics on Marriage Equality and Kevin Keller

- News24

Last week I read an article in the Guardian about how the issue of
long-running Archie comic featuring gay marriage on the cover had sold
out. This was despite predictable calls from the American Family
Association's website One Million Moms for the cover to be pulled from
Toys R Us's stores across the nation.

Let's take a step or two back. I haven't read an Archie comic in
years, and I'm delighted to learn that a gay character – the
fabulously named Kevin Keller – had joined the gang whose exploits I
followed as a child. This shows that while I've been busy growing up
and moving on, Archie, which felt like a relic of my youth, has been
keeping with the times.

I'm sure that this is not the first storm of controversy to hang over
Kevin's head, but I'm glad – and not a little surprised – that he
exists in Riverdale. Of course, the response of the One Million Moms
bunch is less surprising, given the anti-tolerance rife in the Land of
the Free today. In fact, if anything, I'm surprised that their
response was so moderate.

However, it's their statement that homosexuality is a concept "too
complicated" for children to understand that I'd like to unpick. As
far as I'm concerned, it's only complicated if you make it so. If you
help your children to understand from an early age that sometimes men
love men and women love women, you'll avoid a lot of scandalised
eye-covering and urgent letter-penning, and probably mitigate a lot of
bullying and intolerance to other children who do not conform.

The Moms complain that as a result of the comic's presence in the
shops "a trip to the toy store turns into a premature discussion on
sexual orientation and is completely uncalled for". Sorry, moms, I'm
not buying it. The conversation should already have been had. Your gay
friends and relatives should be sitting in your kitchen sipping
Starbucks without anybody batting an eyelid… What? Oh, no gay friends
or relatives? Well, get some, for goodness sake!

Or, in line with Archie comics co-chief executive John Goldwater's
sentiment: "Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge
anyone. It's an idealised version of America that will hopefully
become reality someday."

People often ask me why I, as a married straight woman, stick up so
fervently and frequently for the rights of the LGBT (lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender – not a sandwich) community. Perhaps it's
because I grew up with gay people around and find the homophobic
posturing of a certain set of South Africans and Americans offensive.

It also has something to do with the fact that I believe that so many
straight people are in unhappy relationships for reasons of security
and societal conformation, and I admire every gay person for the
struggle against what is expected of them in pursuit of honest love
and happiness.

And in general, it has a lot to do with the fact that I believe that
what people get up to is their own business, and that we have no right
to judge or condemn anyone as long as they're not hurting others.

I grew up in a tolerant and unbiased environment, and I turned out
tolerant and unbiased, but still straight. I believe there's no
inherent risk in exposing children to these notions from birth. Which
brings me back to the Archie comic; what a great way to simplify and
normalise choices about orientation and promote open-mindedness.

I'm delighted Goldwater's feedback to One Million Moms: "We're sorry
the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively
about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just
like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be
a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of
prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people."


More:
http://www.news24.com/Columnists/GeorginaGuedes/Congratulations-to-Archie-for-gay-marriage-20120305

--
Together, we can change the world, one mind at a time.
Have a great day,
Tommy

--
Together, we can change the world, one mind at a time.
Have a great day,
Tommy

--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment