Sunday, December 19, 2010

Re: Congratulations From President Obama on Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal


the only thing bamie did to help this along was stay away from it so his stink wasn't on it


On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Tommy News <tommysnews@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations From President Obama on Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal.
Thanks to all who lobbied Congress and helped make this victory
possible. -Tommy

From: Barack Obama <info@barackobama.com>


Tommy --

Moments ago, the Senate voted to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

When that bill reaches my desk, I will sign it, and this
discriminatory law will be repealed.

Gay and lesbian service members -- brave Americans who enable our
freedoms -- will no longer have to hide who they are.

The fight for civil rights, a struggle that continues, will no longer
include this one.

This victory belongs to you. Without your commitment, the promise I
made as a candidate would have remained just that.

Instead, you helped prove again that no one should underestimate this
movement. Every phone call to a senator on the fence, every letter to
the editor in a local paper, and every message in a congressional
inbox makes it clear to those who would stand in the way of justice:
We will not quit.

This victory also belongs to Senator Harry Reid, Speaker Nancy Pelosi,
and our many allies in Congress who refused to let politics get in the
way of what was right.

Like you, they never gave up, and I want them to know how grateful we
are for that commitment.

Will you join me in thanking them by adding your name to Organizing
for America's letter?


http://my.barackobama.com/Repealed4


I will make sure these messages are delivered -- you can also add a
comment about what the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" means to you.

As Commander in Chief, I fought to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
because it weakens our national security and military readiness. It
violates the fundamental American principles of equality and fairness.

But this victory is also personal.

I will never know what it feels like to be discriminated against
because of my sexual orientation.

But I know my story would not be possible without the sacrifice and
struggle of those who came before me -- many I will never meet, and
can never thank.

I know this repeal is a crucial step for civil rights, and that it
strengthens our military and national security. I know it is the right
thing to do.

But the rightness of our cause does not guarantee success, and today,
celebration of this historic step forward is tempered by the defeat of
another -- the DREAM Act. I am incredibly disappointed that a minority
of senators refused to move forward on this important, commonsense
reform that most Americans understand is the right thing for our
country. On this issue, our work must continue.

Today, I'm proud that we took these fights on.

Please join me in thanking those in Congress who helped make "Don't
Ask, Don't Tell" repeal possible:

http://my.barackobama.com/Repealed4

Thank you,

Barack



---------------------------------------------------------------------



--
Together, we can change the world, one mind at a time.
Have a great day,
Tommy

--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment