Saturday, October 15, 2011

Are they crazy?



New post on Fellowship of the Minds

Are they crazy?

by dcgere

San Francisco restaurant workers support 25 percent tip standard

Of course, this comes from San Francisco...

Mercurynews.comThere's a move on to make 25 percent the standard tip in San Francisco restaurants. Media sources report that San Francisco restaurant workers are behind it with support from some high-class restaurants.

But, tipping always has been a personal matter. The restaurant norm now is about 15 percent or 20 percent. The IRS says 15 percent is about right for workers' tax purposes.

Mike Alexander of Antioch said, "They have to be kidding. The whole purpose of a tip is to reward service. If the price is dictated it's not a tip. If they're serious they'll meet a lot of resistance. It seems like everyone is trying to squeeze another buck out of us."

"If they try it, people will vote with their feet," said Candel Garcia. "Tips should be earned, not expected. I usually tip 10 percent or 15 percent, which I think is fair. If they really want a bigger tip they might try to increase their service to justify it."

Tom Grey of Antioch wants to know how they came up with the 25 percent tip idea. "The government puts 15 percent as the tax tab for individuals getting tips. Does anyone really think restaurant workers will admit to the additional income and report it to the IRS? I'm sticking with 15 percent as my restaurant tip."

Farrah Harper of Brentwood thinks of a negative effect. "If servers think they automatically will get a 25 percent tip, they could very easily slack off and relax on the service they provide," she said. "I'm sticking with my 20 percent tips. If the service is really great, I can up that amount, but that doesn't happen very often."

"They're being greedy. How can anyone make a tip percentage standard?" asked Charles Piggett of Antioch. "There is one thing that does affect size of the tip, guilt feelings. Some people are ashamed to appear as a cheapskate so they over-tip. That doesn't work for me. I don't need anyone else telling me how to spend my money."

Valerie Green of Oakley disagrees. "Given the terrible state of our economy, I think 25 percent is not unreasonable," she said. "I usually do 20 percent, but everyone needs some extra money now and I'm all for it. I'm going to go with 25 percent starting with my next meal out."

Antioch's Cliff Lane is thinking out of the box. "If you want to reward service, start tipping the help in fast food places. These people work for minimum wage and get no tips," he said. "Tips are for quality service. If you get it, give a tip. In restaurants I usually leave 20 percent. Given the rising prices for meals now, a 20 percent tip does include a raise."

Yes Ms. Green, given the state of our economy, let's set a minimum tip percentage above the normal standard tip rate for what should be based on performance.  Makes sense to me.

Any restaurant that sets a tip standard (separate from a gratuity placed on large parties) will not be getting my service!

DCG

dcgere | October 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Tags: San Francisco | Categories: Economy, Idiots In General | URL: http://wp.me/pKuKY-9ZH

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe or change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/are-they-crazy/

Thanks for flying with WordPress.com


--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment