Thursday, July 1, 2010

This is a comment from a former liberal law student commenting on the Althouse blog

I think she is probably right based on what I see from the politicians.



 lyssalovelyredhead said...

re: the feminism/liberalism angle- 

I was a theater girl growing up, so I've dated some pretty stereotypically liberal males (more in the sense of the hippy, new-age modern men sense than actual political leanings, as we were young), but also some sterotypically conservative males(ones you would probably call "rednecks", with "traditional" values). 

The conservative men uniformly treated me better, not only in the sense that they treated me chivalrously, but in the sense that they were respectful of my goals, my intelligence, etc. The liberals were generally not. 

I find that that is true today as well- many men with "traditional" values are frequently commenting on my academic success, encouraging my career goals, and not giving me any indication that they think I'm less capable because of my sex, other than insisting on opening doors for me. 

Liberalism leads to elitism by saying that some men are special. That elitism is the antithesis of actual feminism.

7/1/10 10:00 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment